Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My "NEW" Family

I never really know how much of my personal stuff I should post to this blog since it is not a private one. Perhaps I'll leave out names "to protect the innocent." A few weeks ago, I had an awesome opportunity. I had to work at the International Sportsman's Exposition, (which is not, by the way the opportunity I am speaking about...) It was a long show. I was gone from a Wednesday morning until that following Sunday night when I arrived back home at 9:00 that night. It was a LONG time for me to be away from my husband and my kids. The show itself was okay- not our best show, by any means. Now, none of this sounds awesome. However, while I was there, I had the opportunity to get together with my Biological Father for dinner.

This was only the second time we had met in my adult life, and so we made plans to go to dinner together, just he and I. We went to a great Mexican restaurant called Guadalahonkies. (Spelling?) The food was GREAT. But the company was even better. Honest, it was really cool. I had an amazing time visiting with him, hearing his stories, telling mine, and all together, just connecting on a much deeper level than we had the first time we got together. He was so genuine and very kind. After what seemed like not nearly long enough, it was time to go. He promised he would visit me at the show, and he did. Several times. Each time taking time to visit with me, buy my lunches/ dinners, and yes, even signed up for the Hunting magazine I was selling. :) I met his friend, and his ex-wife, and really enjoyed my time with all of them.

The shows are very busy with big crowds. I get very tired of hearing my own voice, as I have to give my sales pitch hundreds of times each day. One of the afternoons, I noticed a guy in an Orange plaid shirt with bright blue eyes, who was holding a little boy. You could tell right away the boy was his- He had his same brilliant blue eyes, and yes, even a orange plaid shirt. They were cute, the two of them wandering the show together. I thought to myself, Now there is a good Daddy--bringing a not quite 2 yr old to this show all by himself. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I saw them a couple of times before they ended up in line behind a man I was selling the magazine to. When it was his turn, I just plowed right into my whole sales pitch, telling him all about the magazine. When it came time to sign him up, I asked, "So what do you think? Can we get you started with a subscription?" His reply: "Well, I didn't really come here to talk to you about magazines." OKAY?? (Insert a little awkward pause) "What's your little guy's name," I asked, still wondering why he stood in line and waited to talk to me. "(insert baby's name here-still protecting the innocent)" was his reply, and then it clicked.

This was my Half-brother. My Brother. My little brother who I had never ever met. He is 23. He is Handsome and charming. He is a Daddy to a beautiful little boy--MY NEPHEW!! I was overwhelmed. In a good way. I was so excited, and so touched that he would want to come and meet me. I could hardly hold back the emotions-- and you know what's crazy? I think he felt the same way. I had wanted to meet him ever since I had found out about him a couple of years ago. And did it meet all the expectations I had imagined? Yes it did. That and more. It was crazy. I was instantly comfortable with him. I had thousands of questions racing through my mind- tons of things I wanted to know about him. I had 23 years to catch up on. I was thinking how impressed I was that he is still young, and yet has such a genuine heart. He's a rough and tough hard working, a not-backing-down-to- anyone type of a guy, and yet, he was so NICE. He asked me lots of questions, too. And the whole time, we were holding and chasing after my NEPHEW!! Did I mention that??? Oh man, I love that little guy already. He is BEAUTIFUL. And sweet. And sooooo very precious. He has a smile that melted my heart. He has the cutest locks of light hair, and the most amazing eyes. He was fascinated by the horses and saddles that we saw, and had fun running up and down the ramp of an enclosed trailer. He reminded me in so many ways of Landry, and I just kept thinking how awesome it would be if they could play together. Later that night I was really blessed to be able to go to dinner with my nephew, my brother, and his girlfriend. She was GORGEOUS and funny, and really personable. I was so happy to meet her. (The only thing I regret is that he and I really spent a lot of time at dinner talking and catching up on things- and I hope she knows that I can not wait to get to know her better as well. I hope she didn't feel ignored.) There is so much to learn about all of them. I am just soaking it all in, too. I feel so great. I feel like my family, who I am VERY close to, has just expanded, and NOTHING in this whole world could make me any happier. I can not WAIT to see them all again-- and don't worry... It's on the calendar. :)

7 comments:

Ruth said...

By the way, I love Colder Weather by The Zac Brown Band! I think it is wonderful you are connecting with the other part of your life!

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

wow! this has been a long time coming. i am so happy for you and for them! i remember the first time you met and how awkward you felt. i am sure they are so happy to finally be a part of your life and family!

Mellissa said...

That really is a great story. I'm glad you had such a wonderful and positive experience on your trip. What a crazy week for you!

Sarah Ball said...

This post seriously made me tear up. I am so happy for you. What an awesome thing!

grandma p said...

Katy, I was crying so hard I could hardly read your post. All I can say is how very grateful I am and what a special person you are. Hope to see you soon. Love, Valerie

Kaycee said...

Wow, life has a way to taking unexpected turns. I bet you are thrilled with how well it is turning out! I'm so glad for you to have had a positive experience. You're such a kind, positive and accepting person, and I can only imagine how happy they all are to have connected with you again. You'll have to keep us posted!

The Eyre's said...

What an amazing experience!