Sunday, May 29, 2011

Miss McKaylyn











So now that I have some new-found family members, as well as friends who we don't get to see often enough, I have decided to write a post about each of my kids, and fill you all in on the sweet little spirits that I am lucky enough to be a Mother to. So we'll begin at the beginning.
McKaylyn is our first daughter. I loved the name Mikayla when I was growing up, and always wanted to name a daughter that. Jason liked it with a 'LYN' on the end, so we compromised, and so far, we have not met anyone else with her same name. She does not have a middle name because we could not think of one that sounded good with her first name. She was the biggest miracle in our lives the day she was born. I can remember holding her, all bundled tight in her blanket at night, and I would just start to cry because I had never experienced so much love for anyone before. And then I blinked, and now, she will be 11 this year. She has the most beautiful brown eyes that I have ever seen. She is quiet and reserved, much like her mother, but she can also be very funny. She is somewhat of a perfectionist. She hates to mess up, and practices whatever it is that she might be doing until she can do it very well. She scored 100% on her end of level testing this year in Language Arts and Reading. She scored in the high 90's in all the other subjects. She is picking up the piano really quickly now, and is becoming a really great player. She also loves softball. She is great on first base and has even pitched a few games so far this season. She gets a little upset and impatient with herself when she walks someone. She and Maddisen have been outside every day with their mitts and a ball, practicing pitching, catching, batting, and running bases. (It helps that we have a neighborhood full of cute boys around their same ages who like to play as well :) Up until recently, McKaylyn has been the perfect child. I'm not kidding, either. She has been responsible, obedient, kind, and a great big sister. Yes, you did read the "up until recently" part correctly! Lately it seems she is towing the line a little bit... Rolling her eyes when we ask her to help, arguing with her sisters, becoming impatient with her brother, not doing her chores correctly... I am afraid the teenage mentality is creeping in... and she is still only 10. Heaven help us! :) All I know is that we'd better find a way to get through to her now before she is 16 and knows entirely more than we do. I really feel so lucky to be McKaylyn's mom. Although she won't wave to me or give me a hug in public anymore, she does give me a big hug and kiss every night before bed. She likes to have one on one time with me, and she and I have developed quite a close friendship that I really cherish. She is my brown-eyed angel, with ever-listening ears, and a quick, quiet wit. She wants to be a photographer when she grows up, and has quite an eye for it. (Her grandma gave her her first digital camera when she was 4, and it has turned into a real hobby for her.) I wish I could take a picture of her and keep her this age forever. We are so lucky to have her in our family.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I was just thinking the other day that it seems like I have blinked and all of a sudden my son is 13. I feel grateful that he is interested in girls, but not too much. The concept kind of passes him by. He likes band, baseball, and basketball much more. Your daughter is beautiful!

grandma p said...

What a beautiful child she is. I enjoyed your post so much and look forward to reading about all of your children. She is lucky to have you for a mom.