Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life lessons

You know, I really think that it is a good thing that this life provides opportunities to learn and grow through the dumb mistakes that one makes. Cause heaven knows I've made my fair share. The only hope we have is that everyone else has made mistakes, too, and therefore can relate, and hopefully forgive our weaknesses more easily, knowing that they, too, have weaknesses. I often think of my beautiful mother, who has taught me so many good things in this life. Especially when I am feeling ashamed of myself for the dumb things that I do. I really admire her for thousands of reasons, but perhaps her best trait, in my view, is that she NEVER says negative things about other people. She is a great listener, and therefore, I'm sure, hears many things about many different people, but no matter who it may be, and regardless of what they have done to her, she always focuses on the positive things about them when she is asked her opinion... even if others are not so kind. I really admire that about her. I guess in so many ways I feel like I have a long way to go until I have mastered my tongue like that, but I know each time I make a mistake, I consider it a lesson learned, and promise myself that I will absolutely do my best to be more like her. What an example of genuine kindness, and the golden rule. Perhaps my least favorite thing about living in such a small town is the huge prevalence of rumors. People saying this, and people saying that, and some people just being down-right malicious. But my hope is that someday, I will be a good enough person that if others hear negative things about me, they will not believe it for one second. I hope my character will speak for me instead of feeling like I need to defend myself  or my family by mouth. After all, actions do speak louder than words, and no one wins in the crossfire of negative words and blame. So, mom, even though I doubt you're a big blog-lurker, I still want to let it be known that I am grateful for your example, and that in so many ways,I really do want to grow up to be like you.

2 comments:

Stu and Kaycee Fillmore said...

You're right, Mom is a great example of focusing on the positive and letting her actions speak for themselves, never perpetuating a rumor or having ill-intent. It's always the best way to go!

Candice said...

Wonderful tribute. Bryce and I have been working on the same weakness...I rely on the scripture about making weak things strong for hope...